BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MikeTurner
Calcite | Level 5

Is there is one possibility to do regression on the data through data-transformation? If yes, what kind of transformation I can do?

Thanks.

data.JPG
2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Some more info about the X and Y variables would be a lot of help.  Looking at the plot that accompanied your post, I didn't see much but noise.  The X variable looks to get very large, so a plot of Y vs. log(X) might be revealing.  I don't think there is going to be anything, but you might look at PROC TRANSREG for Box-Cox transformations as a step towards something.

Steve Denham

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If the X axis is reversed, this looks like a classic case of heteroskedastic data in which the variance increases with X.

I'd define Z = 1/X and plot Y vs. Z (or use 1/(X+1) if X=0 is a possible value).

You can then use all the standard variance stabilizing transformations (AKA, normalizing transformations) such as Z-->log(Z) or  Z-->sqrt(Z).

Depending on the meaning of X, you could also try just a simple reflection such as W = 300000 - x and then work with W.

As Steve mentions, transformations often work best when they are meaningfully related to the data. So ask yourself, is "natural" way to flip around the X axis?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation