BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All:

Being a programmer, I'm no great shakes at statistics.

What I have is a measurement for each quarter for a year. I have a value for the first quarter of the following year. (I have YEAR, QUARTER, MEASURE)

I would like to know whether the new quarter is "reasonable" given the values of past year (ie: should I reject that value and investigate).

Remember, I'm a programmer so the simpler the better!

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
PROC COMPARE with suitable options to satisfy your "reasonable" check. Or a DATA step process to compare related consecutive "period" values.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
OK, so you've got something like this

2008 1 10
2008 2 12
2008 3 11
2008 4 10
2009 1 9
2009 2 10
2009 3 11
2009 4 10
2010 1 xxx

then you find that xxx = 12. Is 12 "reasonable".

Is that your question?

If so, may I ask how many years of data you have, and whether there is reason to expect either a long term trend or seasonal variation or both?

Peter
http://www.statisticalanalysisconsulting.com/
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7
That is exactly what I am looking for.

I only have 2 years of good data (8 quarters) which I know is a problem (not enough data!)

I would like to know that when xxx=12 it is "ok" and when xxx=345 is it not (or whatever) based on the previous set of data for that measure.
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Sorry, but I don't think there is a good statistical answer for this. You can get a distribution of quarter to quarter change, but there N will = 7, and that's not much to go on; esp. if there are seasonal patterns.

Instead, I think you have to substantively define what would be an unreasonable change.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation