BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
temporarydataset
Calcite | Level 5

I originally asked this question on Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange, going to try my luck here this time.

I'm trying to model the number of parks in a neighborhood as a function of education, land area (both continuous variables), and poverty percentage (categorical). There may be other covariates included but for the sake of the question I will exclude them for now. I chose a Poisson model because to my understanding this is the model that is ideal for count data and my data has a lot of sampling zeroes.

My unit of analysis for the neighborhood is the census tract. Using ArcGIS, I joined geocoded point information about parks to a census tract shape file, exported this information into SAS, and generated counts. I then ran the following Poisson model.

proc genmod data = parks;

class povper / descending;

model cnt = povper edu area / link=log dist=poi;

run;

My issue with this model is that it doesn't take into account the number of parks in neighboring census tracts. I've been reading about possibly creating a spatially lagged dependent variable, but according to this answer, spatial lag and poisson don't necessarily mix. All of the census tracts in my table have x/y coordinates. Does anyone have advice on how I could incorporate the park counts from neighboring census tracts into my model using SAS?

3 REPLIES 3
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

Hi,

Have you tried PROC GLIMMIX  RANDOM statement with TYPE=SP(GAU)(x,y)  ?

temporarydataset
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I've never used the GLIMMIX statement before. What exactly does the type option represent? Thanks.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

See this example in the PROC GLIMMIX doc:

SAS/STAT(R) 13.1 User's Guide

For lots of details, including SAS code, see Schabenberger & Gotway, Statistical Methods for Spatial Data Analysis

Statistical Methods for Spatial Data Analysis (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science):...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation