BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
preetampal
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I have the following time series model for prediction purposes

Loss_t = b1* Loss_(t-1)   +  b2*GDP_t  +  b3*W_(t-1)  where W_t is the usual white noise variable.

So this is similar to ARMA(1,1) except that it also contains an extra predictor, GDP at time t.

I have only 20 observations on each variable except GDP for which I know till 100 values.

For predicting say, the 22nd value for Loss (i.e.Loss_22),  how do I input the value of the W_21 variable, because this variable (W_21) is generally proxied via the error in prediction (i.e. observed - predicted value of Loss) in the 21st stage, but since I don't know the observed value of Y_21, there is no way to calculate the error in this stage (21st) .

Also, the way I have calculated the coefficients in the above model is non-standard (differencing, bootstrapping, ridge regression), hence I cannot use the general ARMA codes in SAS for prediction.

So it would be great if you could help on this method or let me know what algorithm SAS uses to solve this problem.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Preetam

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Preetam,

If you post this in the Forecasting forum, the people there are much more apt to be able to give you a good answer.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation