BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie in SAS On Demand. A few days ago, a new folder under the name "my_system_notices" has been automatically created in my account (perhaps, after a processing error). I am trying to delete this folder, along with the "termination" file that contains, but i can't. This is the flag that SAS On Demand returns to me. Can you help me please?

A.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 5.05.34 PM.png

8 REPLIES 8
jenburry
SAS Employee

Hi @AlainX 

This folder is created in the event your session is terminated and these notices are not able to be deleted as noted at the link below under "Are there limits on what I can do in my SAS sessions?":

SAS OnDemand for Academics General FAQ

If you are still having an issue with a long running program.  I would recommend following up with the instructor for advice on how to proceed while staying within the SAS® OnDemand for Academics resources limits if you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics in a course with an instructor.  Or if you are following a SAS e-Learning course please feel free to reach out to the SAS Education team at the following email address for further assistance: academic@sas.com

AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6
I am the instructor. And I just want to delete this note from my dashboard. How can I do it?
tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ

Why delete it?  This is a good opportunity to teach students that if the submit a SAS job that takes too many resources, their session will be terminated & a notice will be put in this folder.  If you still have your job that generated the alert, you could use that as an example.

AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. The issue is that I did NOT submit a SAS job that takes too many resources, and I did NOT have a terminated session. All the tasks that I have run, were executed with no problem at all.

The message appeared there with no reason at all. Thus, it is clearly a SAS bug and must be solved. If you do not intend to help and escalate the issue, let me know, in order to make my decisions,.

Regards,

PX

tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ
Can you download it the termination file & open it (notepad should work)? Here is an example of an entry for my account:

Fri Mar 24 18:30:49 UTC 2023 Session terminated due to excessive resource usage
AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6

Because I do not think that you understand me, I repost the whole story:

Dear Friends,

I am exploring the incorporation of SAS OnDemand for Academics in one of my academic courses, in the future. For that reason, I have created a typical free account.

A few days ago, after experimenting and running various tasks with some of my data sets, a new folder appeared in my dashboard, under the name "my_system_notices" .

My problem: I am trying to delete this folder, along with the "termination" file that contains, but I can't. In the screenshot below, you can see the flag that SAS On Demand returns to me.

Can you help me please? I do not want the "my_system_notices" folder to appear in my dashboard, and I want to be removed.

THERE IS A TERMINATION REPORT WITH A DATE/TIME, BUT NOTHING HAPPENED IN TERMS OF RESOURCES CRASH. ALL MY TASKS PROCESSED WITH NO PROBLEM. SO IT IS A SAS BUG. CAN U SOLVE IT OR NOT? 

Thanks in advance.

AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6

The issue is that I did NOT submit a SAS job that takes too many resources, and I did NOT have a terminated session. All the tasks that I have run, were executed with no problem at all.   The message appeared there with no reason at all. Thus, it is clearly a SAS bug and must be solved. If you do not intend to help and escalate the issue, let me know, in order to make my decisions.

ballardw
Super User

@AlainX wrote:

THERE IS A TERMINATION REPORT WITH A DATE/TIME, BUT NOTHING HAPPENED IN TERMS OF RESOURCES CRASH. ALL MY TASKS PROCESSED WITH NO PROBLEM. SO IT IS A SAS BUG. CAN U SOLVE IT OR NOT? 

Yelling won't help.

It might be that you submitted code that did not "crash" but also did not terminate properly  and the system terminated it. Common examples are use of Proc SQL the you end with RUN: instead of Quit; That can create the intended desired data set, for example, BUT the procedure is still running.

For example:

156  Proc sql;
157     create table example as
158     select *
159     from sashelp.class
160     where sex='F'
161     ;
NOTE: Table WORK.EXAMPLE created, with 9 rows and 5 columns.

162  run;
NOTE: PROC SQL statements are executed immediately; The RUN statement has no effect.

No error, data set created but do see the NOTE. 'Has no effect' means the procedure was not terminated.

In the local Display Manager system I run this code on the Editor window actually shows a message: Proc SQL running.

After posting the above example and typing the sentences above I submit a separate Quit statement and now my log includes the diagnostics about how long the Proc SQL step took:

163  quit;
NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):
      real time           2:35.43
      cpu time            0.54 seconds

Try running the example program I show above and see how much "real time" is taken when you do not provide a Quit statement.

Then execute a quit.

I am not saying this is exactly what happened to your system but is an example of something that might have occurred. We do not have all of the code or data sets you ran code against. We don't have logs. We only have your statement: "A few days ago, after experimenting and running various tasks with some of my data sets, a new folder appeared in my dashboard, under the name "my_system_notices" ."

Something that only shows a "termination report" sounds like it stopped something that was left running, perhaps that you did not realize was running.

Did you attempt to remove the "termination report" before attempting to delete the folder? It is not uncommon for tools to refuse to delete folders that contain files if the proper approach is not chosen. Windows Explorer by default won't delete a folder with a file in it for example. Which behavior goes back to the days of DOS 2.1 IIRC.

No promise that will work but I've never created one of these folders to test against.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation