BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm running a program interactively and would like the

option validvarname=v7

to be the default for the duration of the session. Currently after every datastep it gets reset back to the default validvarname=ANY this is problematic because i'm now forced to put the option before every proc import/export.

System info: SAS Studio version 3.7 running SAS 9.4 on SAS Grid/Unix server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Try putting it in the autoexec.sas file. I'm not currently using SAS Studio, so it's more a guess based on other SAS products.
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9
I think that solution would normally work however, I'm in an enterprise setting and I don't think I'm able to modify that file
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9
I was able to add it to the autoexec.sas file in SAS Studio. The autoexec.sas file says it will run these statements when the application starts however when I run:
proc options option=validvarname; run;
it is still saying the VALIDVARNAME=ANY
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9
Can you say a little more about this? I'm not sure I follow.
SAShole
Pyrite | Level 9
This was the solution i was looking for.
Just adding some more details in case others come across the same issue.
In SAS studio click the icon in the top right corner click the 'more system options' button, it has 3 horizontal bars and 3 dots.
Click Preferences
Under General
Change Character Policy: SAS variable name policy to V7
Click Save

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation