BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jose7
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi experts, nice to write you again !

I have a trouble modifying the length of a column in management console, when i import the metadata from a table, as a defult, it has 1024, but the length that i need for that column is 25,000 the datatype is alphanumeric.

The management console accepts this chance, but when I select the table from the enterprice guide (ver.7.15), it has always 1024.

I'm modifying in management console the lenght, the informat, and the format

Jose7_1-1657931553379.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

That length of 1024 is imposed by the default setting of the SAS option DBMAXTEXT. Try using it to see if it helps. You will need to reread your Sybase IQ table once you have set the option on a LIBNAME or SQL CONNECT statement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

With SAS Enterprise Guide (your client) you're running a SAS workspace session that in the end accesses a physical SAS file (a SAS table) on the SAS server.

It depends on your libname statement if SAS accesses this table via SAS Metadata (you need to use the libname META engine - a library in SAS metadata that is defined to use the META engine). 

A SAS metadata table object can get out-of-sync with the underlying physical SAS table. If you change SAS Metadata column definitions then that's not going to change the actual column attributes in the physical table. IF you're accessing the physical table via the META engine (a libname defined accordingly) then the easiest way is to delete and recreate the physical table. 

If you can't re-create the physical table then you need to change the column attributes in the physical table first (using Proc Datasets or if it's lengths either Proc SQL change or just a SAS data step that re-creates the table from itself). And once your physical table looks like it should then you updated the table metadata object via SAS Management Console.

Jose7
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the physical table in Sybase IQ and the column is varchar(25000), I imported the metadata by management console and always 1024 length is assigned.

Then I assigned the lib as meta in enterprise guide like this “libname LIB1 meta library="XXXX" metaout=data” , but when I want to see the table with a select or double click in the lib, I obtain an error, what can I do to solve this issue?

Jose7_0-1657990133408.png

SASKiwi
PROC Star

That length of 1024 is imposed by the default setting of the SAS option DBMAXTEXT. Try using it to see if it helps. You will need to reread your Sybase IQ table once you have set the option on a LIBNAME or SQL CONNECT statement.

Jose7
Obsidian | Level 7
It worked, Thks !!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation