BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
therajatmadaan
Calcite | Level 5

ERROR: Write access to member SASUSER.FORMATS.CATALOG is denied.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi: A permanent library does not "disappear". Think of SAS as "unplugging" itself from the data when you take your session down. So the first thing you should do when you log back in or start a new SAS session is "plug into" your permanent data by issuing LIBNAME statements for your data location. I have a program that I keep called LIBNAME.SAS that always has my permanent libraries defined with LIBNAME statements and the program also has the OPTIONS I most always use. The first thing I do when I log on is to submit that program.
Cynthia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
HI:
You do not have write access to the SASUSER library in SAS University Edition. The best thing to do is to allow PROC FORMAT to write your formats to the WORK location or to define a permanent location where you have WRITE access in a LIBNAME statement and use the LIBRARY= option with PROC FORMAT to point to that other location.
Cynthia
therajatmadaan
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Cynthia ,

Yes I created a custom library to store proc formats. But when I am restarting the sas session. My library is not appearing under libraries. If it's going to disappear everytime just like work Library. Then what is the purpose of creating a permanent library
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

What sas platform are you using?

If you run sas on a server you need get the permission from the administrator.

If you use SAS University Edition and some others you can't get the permission because many others use the same sasuser library.

To save your own formats define any other private library to save there the format catalog. 

therajatmadaan
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Yes I created a custom library to store proc formats. But when I am restarting the sas session. My library is not appearing under libraries. If it's going to disappear everytime just like work Library. Then what is the purpose of creating a permanent library
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi: A permanent library does not "disappear". Think of SAS as "unplugging" itself from the data when you take your session down. So the first thing you should do when you log back in or start a new SAS session is "plug into" your permanent data by issuing LIBNAME statements for your data location. I have a program that I keep called LIBNAME.SAS that always has my permanent libraries defined with LIBNAME statements and the program also has the OPTIONS I most always use. The first thing I do when I log on is to submit that program.
Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation