BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mt88
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a dataset with two date variables (call them date 1 and date 2). I'd like to create a third variable that gives me the number of days between the two dates. Date 1 is formatted as MMDDYY10. Date 2 is not formatted and appears as the number of days since Jan 1 1960 (i.e. a 5 digit number in all cases). I tried creating a new variable (call it datedifference) in the data step (datedifference = date 1 - date 2). This returned a variable (datedifference) with all missing values (date 1 and date 2 have no missing values). Next I tried to first format Date 2 to MMDDYY10 and then repeated the prior step. This gave me the same result. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

What is the data type of Date1, character or numeric?  I suspect it is a character in which case you will need to convert it to a numeric date first.  

input(date1,MMDDYY10.) - date2  

Other than that, we would need more info.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

What is the data type of Date1, character or numeric?  I suspect it is a character in which case you will need to convert it to a numeric date first.  

input(date1,MMDDYY10.) - date2  

Other than that, we would need more info.

mt88
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, they are both numeric. Thanks.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Hello, @mt88 

Formatting is irrelevant to this problem. You state they are both numeric, but if they were both numeric, you would not be getting missing values. So one or both must be character (not numeric). You need to identify the problem by figuring out which one (or both) is character. There should also be warnings or errors in the log. If you show us the ENTIRE log for your data step (including code, NOTEs, WARNINGs and ERRORs) by copying the log as text and pasting it into the window that appears when you click on the </> icon (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP), we probably can help further.

--
Paige Miller
mt88
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks all. I managed to figure it out.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please share the solution with the rest of the SAS Community!

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation