BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mava
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello. 

I have been reading on how low the pass rate is for this exam. 

I have been using SAS for 20 yrs for stats, and always got the right answers. 

I have been studying like no one can imagine for the Base Certification Exam.  Even my PhD stat friends can't answer the questions they give. 

I read that this test is NOT WORTH IT. 

I can't waste time on studying something that one may not pass.  I am studying the 5th edition review book, but I read that this doesn't really help. 

Can anyone help me with my decision to continue trying to pass this?  

It sounds like SAS wants people to fail, from what I read - I am NOT stating that THAT IS TRUE. 

Any comments?   

Time is precious for me.  

Thank you, Mava. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have passed the Base exam and have trained both internally and externally, but the value varies from company to company and person to person.

- You can learn from the basics, so you can back up the basics with on-the-job training or what you have learned on your own.
- The company can externally show the number of people who have obtained the certification (so you may get a lump sum if you pass).
- The content of the exam is old, and there is a lot of knowledge that is not necessary for practical work.
I can think of the above.

If you have been doing this for 20 years, I think you can pass the exam if you study hard for about a month. And after studying that much, you should be done whether you pass or not.

It is true that this certification is not considered so valuable to hold, but it has been changed to be more practice-oriented than before, so I hope that its value will be reevaluated.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

My opinion is that your 20 years of experience speak louder than a Base Certification would.

mava
Obsidian | Level 7
That is what everyone I know is telling me.

I love SAS. I will never use anything but SAS, but from all I read, it's a
tricky exam and not worth it.

However, more companies want the certification.

I am so NOT sure what to do.

Thanks. I agree with you. But companies, etc., are wanting it.

I have never heard of things I am reading in the review book. That scares
me.

Thank you SO MUCH!

japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have passed the Base exam and have trained both internally and externally, but the value varies from company to company and person to person.

- You can learn from the basics, so you can back up the basics with on-the-job training or what you have learned on your own.
- The company can externally show the number of people who have obtained the certification (so you may get a lump sum if you pass).
- The content of the exam is old, and there is a lot of knowledge that is not necessary for practical work.
I can think of the above.

If you have been doing this for 20 years, I think you can pass the exam if you study hard for about a month. And after studying that much, you should be done whether you pass or not.

It is true that this certification is not considered so valuable to hold, but it has been changed to be more practice-oriented than before, so I hope that its value will be reevaluated.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation