BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Stalk
Pyrite | Level 9

When I run my program first time, proc export gives me messages like log window full..

windows is full and must be cleared. Select

File, Print, Save, Clear.

For next several runs it does not give me that message again in the SAS session.

How can I suppress that message programmatically or any other configurations.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why would PROC EXPORT generate a lot of information to the log?  Exactly what code did you run?

Can you see any of the actual log messages?

If you need to you can temporarily route the log messages to a separate file you can avoid the messages about clearing the log. Make sure to route it to a disk with enough spaces.  And also NOT to the disk used by the operating system since if the actual issue an infinite loop of some sort you don't want to crash your machine.

proc printto log='some file name.log' ;
run;
proc export ....
run;
proc printto log=log;
run;

Then you can look at the log with some text editor and try to determine what it is is saying and perhaps why.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why would PROC EXPORT generate a lot of information to the log?  Exactly what code did you run?

Can you see any of the actual log messages?

If you need to you can temporarily route the log messages to a separate file you can avoid the messages about clearing the log. Make sure to route it to a disk with enough spaces.  And also NOT to the disk used by the operating system since if the actual issue an infinite loop of some sort you don't want to crash your machine.

proc printto log='some file name.log' ;
run;
proc export ....
run;
proc printto log=log;
run;

Then you can look at the log with some text editor and try to determine what it is is saying and perhaps why.

Stalk
Pyrite | Level 9

Proc printto allowed me to create a file and look the warnings in details. One of the text field has special characters and its causing the issue.

Thank you all.

ballardw
Super User

Save to a file.

Then share the code part and the first 50 or so lines that I would expect to be data related messages.

Paste what ever text you share into a text box opened on the forum with the </> icon to preserve formatting of the text as the main message windows will reformat pasted text.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Fix the cause of the messages not remove them. They are there for a reason and just ignoring them is not good programming practice. Post a copy of your SAS log and a sample of the messages being generated so we can see what is going on. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation