BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I'm loading the data from SAS to SQL table via SCD type 2 loader. There are two fields which are defined as Null in SQL but after loading I could see the Null values. These  two fields are not Primary key in SQL and it is under 'Detect changes' in SCD type 2 from SAS.

May I know what might be the potential cause for this issue?

1 REPLY 1
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"There are two fields which are defined as Null in SQL but after loading I could see the Null values."

What does that mean? There had been blanks instead of NULL? Or the SCD2 loader loaded a change record even though nothing changed?

SAS not having a concept of NULL will make things really hard. The md5 digest value gets created on the SAS side so I would assume that a change from blank to NULL (or the other way round) wouldn't create a change record as for SAS it's both times a blank.

How a missing/blank then gets inserted into the DB (as blank or as NULL) will depend on your option settings (NULLCHAR, NULLCHARVAL). 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation