BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MikeFox
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everybody,

I have this task that I want to automate: I have a path containing multiple folders and subfolders. Each and every single one either contains a sas dataset or it is empty. I want to delete all the data in each one of these while keeping the structure of the table. For example if I have a table like the SASHELP.CLASS It will be converted to a table with zero rows but with all the metadata intact (SAS EG would display only Name Age Sex Weight and Height).

I could try to pipe some carefully crafted linux command to a file and then use each row for a libname statement, something like

filename libs_file PIPE 'find /my/path -d' 

then I could write:

DATA libs;

INPUT path 1000 $;

INFILE libs_file;

IF eof THEN CALL SYMPUT("nlibs", _N_);

RUN;

And then use this to somehow use a LIBNAME for each row. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂 

2 REPLIES 2
Quentin
Super User

Deleting data is scary, and crawling through a directory tree to delete all data is scarier...  but since you sound braver than me, I would use a directory tree crawler macro (or an OS command piped to a dataset) to build a control dataset which is a list of the SAS datasets of interest.  SAS can use a file specification in a DATA step, so you don't need a libname statement or a macro.  You could read in the control dataset and use CALL EXECUTE to generate a scary step for each dataset, like (untested):

data "/path/to/mydata.sas7bdat";
  set "/path/to/mydata.sas7bdat";
  stop;
run; 

I think that might work.  But I'm not going to test it.  And maybe take a backup first.  : )

BASUG is hosting free webinars ! Check out recordings of our past webinars: https://www.basug.org/videos. Save the date for our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18 in Cambridge, MA. Registration opens in September.
Reeza
Super User
filename dirtree url 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sasutils/macros/master/dirtree.sas';

%include dirtree;

%dirtree(directory=/home/fkhurshed/CLASS2, out=myfiles, maxdepth=1);

data erase;
set myfiles end = eof;

length str1 $1000.;

if _n_ =1 then call execute ('proc sql;');

if find( filename, 'sas7bdat')>0 then do;

datasetpath = catx('/', path, filename );

str1 = catx(' ', 'delete * from ', quote(trim(datasetpath)), ';');
call execute(str1);
end;

if eof then call execute ('quit;');

run;

Drop all rows from the datasets. %Dirtree will create the list of files - use maxdepth to control how far down the subdirectories you navigate.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation