BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brucelambert
Calcite | Level 5

Hi friends,

I always work with SAS on two screens, editors on the left screen, log and output on the right screen. When I open a file with code in it, it always opens to the full width of the SAS window (I'm on Windows 10, SAS 9.4). Is there a way to get new editor windows to open only on the left screen and only to a predetermined width? Thanks.

--bruce

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

The only editor window that maintains any size setting is the first window.

After that any other editor window is subject to some setting SAS has not shared with anyone, and you aren't the first to ask. The upper left corner cascades somewhat but where that setting or the "make full width" is buried I haven't found it. Maybe you'll have better luck perusing the Windows Registry, which is where I think this is kept unlike the main (first editor) window that is stored in the SASUSER Profile catalog Editwsave entry.

The only thing I have found is to close any previously opened editor window and then open the new one. Which is not really helpful if you actually need multiple windows.

Depending on the number of windows, and this will play havoc with the log and output, is using the Shift+F5 (cascade), +F4 (tile vertically) or +F3 (tile horizontally) to resize and locate ALL open windows.

PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Enterprise Guide has way of docking and undocking windows, as well as undocking a window from the main  window.

Since its upgrade to version 8 one can run SAS programs from that platform without working within a EGP projects, if that is a turn off.  Still though you will be manually moving the windows.  But, you can, for instance, undock the editor from EG, - using Windows OS, with shortcut keys - move it to the other screen  and fit it to half the screen.  

I can imagine you'd want more control than that.  I found a third party app with scripting that might give you a degree of control or automation that you want:  AutoHotKey (AHK) and WindowPad for AHK.  

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation