BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Child79
Fluorite | Level 6
I have data on 50 (20 girls, 30 boys) students.
I have a total of 35 (15 Girls, 20 Boys) students who passed their Maths exam.
In my database I have 3 variables: Gender,nb_books , result. The results variable is a binary variable
taking the values ​​Yes or No. (Yes if the student passed his Mathematics exam, No if the student failed).
I want to create a summary table where in columns I will have the sum of the number of books in mathematics, number of
student that passed the exam and the proportion of students who passed the exam. And I will have on the line the variable
gender. But I don't know how to calculate the proportions in the table.
I converted the result variable into a  numeric variable named num_result.So I created a prob variable by using 
variable result defined as follows:
- 1/20 if it is a girl who passed her exam
-0 if it is a girl who did not pass her exam.
-1/30 if it is a boy who passed his exam
-0 if it is a boy who did not pass his exam.
And I used sum in a proc tabulate to get the summary table.
But the total for the prob variable exceeds 1. Which is not good because I want it to equal 35/50. I used this code. 
I will appreciate your help.
I used SAS EG. See my attached files for examples.
proc tabulate data=students;
var num_result nb_books prob;
class gender;
TABLE 
/* Row statement */
/* column statement */
(num_result = ' ' * Sum={LABEL="Number of student that passed the exam"} nb_books = ' ' * Sum={LABEL="Number of mathematics books"} prob= ' ' * Sum={LABEL= " Proportion of student who passed the exam" );
;
RUN;

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

There are many ways to do this.... are you required to use PROC SUMMARY? I would use PROC FREQ for this task, as follows:

data Students;
length Sex $6;
input Sex $ Count Pass;
datalines;
Male 20 1
Male 10 0
Female 15 1
Female  5 0
;

proc freq data=Students;
tables Sex*Pass / norow nocol out=FreqOut;
weight Count;
run;

proc print data=FreqOut;
run;

Child79
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for your reply.
I have summarized the problem. Otherwise I work with a big data where I will have three variables of respective
alphanumeric, numeric and binary types. And I want to write a program that will output me that every time my data changes
a table in the same format as in the word document.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation