DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Difference between proc means and summary?

Frequent Contributor

Difference between proc means and summary?

I have some knowledge on proc means and summary.

proc means : 1) The print option is set by default which displays output . 2) Omitting the var statement analyses all the numeric variable. Proc Summary : 1) No print option is set by default,which displays no output. 2) Omitting the variable statement produces a simple count of observation.

Can say me some more difference between two of the procedure other than two....

Contributor

Re: Difference between proc means and summary?

Posted in reply to rajeshalwayswel

I think that's about it. Many years ago they did have slightly different functionality, but this converged with later versions of SAS, and I think it's just the default behaviour that is now different. Quite probably there is only one set of underlying code.

Super User

I believe Univariate, Summary and Means all use the same engine under the 'hood'. 

They have slight differences but the core functionality is the same. 

Super User

Posted in reply to rajeshalwayswel

When I started with SAS 5.1 Proc means only sent output to what is now the Listing destination. If you wanted similar output into a data set Proc Summary was required.

Default output datasets often have different structures for what appears to be identical code. Please see:

Proc means data=sashelp.class;
   class sex;
   output out=work.meansoutput ;
run;

Proc summary data=sashelp.class;
   class sex;
   output out=work.summaryoutput ;
run;

I actually continue to use Proc Means and Summary separately so when I look at my code I can quickly tell which was to create data sets and which was to display summaries.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation