BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xxartpopxx
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a gender variable in the old dataset from a week ago and a gender variable in the current dataset. I have created old and new versions of these variables and combined them into a table called joined.

My goal is to create a flag that will show if there are differences between the old and the new gender variable +- 100. I'd like to know if there is drops.

The gender variable is categorical (categories are: female, male, unknown).

Is there a way for me to create flags using proc sql -I will need to do this for the other variables including sex, race, age, etc. What is the easiest way to create a flag and also show the counts of the variables? The end goal would be three columns the counts of the two gender variables and then a flag saying if there was an increase or decrease of 100 from the two weeks.

This is the code I have so far:

proc sql;

create table joined as

select coalesce(a.person_key, b.person_key) as person_key,

a.gender_old, b.gender_new,

a.sexor_old, b.sexor_new,

a.race_cd_old, b.race_cd_new,

a.age_group_old, b.age_group_new,

a.sex_old, b.sex_new,

a.peh1_old, b.peh1_new,

a.peh2_old, b.peh2_new,

a.dose_total_old, b.dose_total_new

from oldperson a

full join newperson b

on a.person_key = b.person_key;

quit; /Goal: Flag significant increases and flag ANY drops./

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Do you want to compare individual observations and see if the value has changed?

create table gender_check as
select coalesce(a.id,b.id) as id
     , case when (a.sex ne b.sex) then cats(a.sex,'->',b.sex) 
            else ' '
       end as sex_flag
from old a
full join new b
on a.id =b.id
;

Or do you want to compare the distribution of values between the two datasets?

select coalesce(a.sex,b.sex) as sex
     , a.count as old_count
     , b.count as new_count
     , a.count - b.count as count_diff
from (select sex,count(*) as count from old group by sex) a
full join (select sex,count(*) as count from new group by sex) b
  on a.sex = b.sex
;
xxartpopxx
Fluorite | Level 6

I'd want to look at the distribution of values so the second code block may work.

How would I add a flag in the proc freq to say if the count_diff is more than 100?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@xxartpopxx wrote:

I'd want to look at the distribution of values so the second code block may work.

How would I add a flag in the proc freq to say if the count_diff is more than 100?

There is no PROC FREQ mentioned in this thread. Only PROC SQL. In PROC SQL, you perform a test to see if the difference is greater than 100 using the CASE WHEN statement in PROC SQL. If it is greater than 100, you assign the flag variable a value of 1, otherwise you assign the flag variable a value of zero.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation