BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Santt0sh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I am trying to create a report. Here we are dealing with daily data, and millions of sales transactions (i.e. daily, monthly, Qtrly ) We are creating the Temp tables (Volatile tables(Teradata) ) and calculating the required variables and outputting it to SAS (.lst file)   but now need to create a report with some additional formatting and I am aware that we cannot directly refer the local path or my path(d:/qtr/sales/).

Can you please suggest me on this?

Regards.

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Why create the .lst file? Why not just store the data in a SAS data set and then do the report in SAS?

--
Paige Miller
Santt0sh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi,
Thank you for your quick response!

I tried creating the datasets, as we are dealing with huge sales transactions the creation of datasets is taking longer than anticipated hence trying to do the calculations on the fly.

Rgs
Reeza
Super User
If your server has access to the local directory yes. Is that likely, no.

Usually you would do the work and analysis on the server, bring back the data prepared to the local version and use that for reporting. The server is typically provisioned to handle bigger data, with more RAM and CPU than your local installation. And controlled access. It processes the data.
Exactly how you do that depends on your set up.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

We are creating the Temp tables (Volatile tables(Teradata) ) and calculating the required variables and outputting it to SAS (.lst file)   

I tried creating the datasets, as we are dealing with huge sales transactions the creation of datasets is taking longer than anticipated hence trying to do the calculations on the fly.

None of us really knows what you are doing, what calculations you are doing, what report you are going to be creating. So its really hard to be more specific. 

Some SAS procedures can work "in the database" rather than work in SAS, and so many of the calculations (depending on what calculations you need) could be done that way, and this could be a lot faster than whatever you are doing. For example, PROC SUMMARY/PROC MEANS docs say 

In-Database Processing for PROC MEANS

When large data sets are stored in an external database, the transfer of the data sets to computers that run SAS can be impacted by performance, security, and resource management issues. SAS in-database processing can greatly reduce data transfer by having the database perform the initial data aggregation.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation