BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sujithpeta
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I've patients healthcare annual cost and I would like to calculate the mean, but, the data is highly skewed to the right making the mean ~22 times the median. Below is the summary statistic for the data.

Mean =  $10,312, Median = $1497, SD = 23,970, Max = $242,502, Min = $0

I would really appreciate if someone can guide me to resource, preferably SAS code example. 

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

What properties do you want your measure of cost to have?

• meanCost has the property that meanCost * TotalNumberPatients = TotalCost
  • medianCost has the property that Cost < medianCost for TotalNumberPatients/2 patients and Cost > medianCost for TotalNumberPatients/2 patients.

Other measures have other properties. It all depends on what you need.

PG
Reeza
Super User

@Sujithpeta wrote:

Hello,

I've patients healthcare annual cost and I would like to calculate the mean, but, the data is highly skewed to the right making the mean ~22 times the median. Below is the summary statistic for the data.

Mean =  $10,312, Median = $1497, SD = 23,970, Max = $242,502, Min = $0

I would really appreciate if someone can guide me to resource, preferably SAS code example. 

Thanks in advance!

Code for what? 

In my experience when the data is that variable, we usually report three statistics, the Median, 50% above/below which is easy to explain and then the 90% and 99th percentiles. These tell you how much 90% of people are paying and 99% to understand the distribution some more. If you're in Canada check CIHI cost reports, not sure what US has. You can probably look at the CIHI reports to know what to measure. 

Sujithpeta
Quartz | Level 8
I’ve come across sources that point out using different methods like transforming the cost to log or use two part models. I’m looking for SAS code example for any of those methods.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation