BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Surface
Fluorite | Level 6

I recently installed SAS 9.4 on windows10 (1703) several machines for my computer. Installation display is successful. The error in the log that I get when I open SAS is ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502. ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup. I have tried to Reinstalling to see if it would repair. also use Java Runtime Environment hotfix . But all were failed. I have no idea. Please help Thank you.

Editor's update: this is a known issue with Windows 10 Creators Update and SAS 9.4m3 and later.  See: SAS Note 60323: Java errors due to the Windows 10 Creators Update might occur when you invoke SAS and the solution in this topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shayne
SAS Employee

This is a known problem that was introduced with the Microsoft Windows 10 "Creators" update.  SAS has issued a fix to solve the issue for SAS 9.4 customers.  Microsoft may also address the problem in a future update.  The SAS hot fix is designed to solve the issue independent of any future Windows fix.

Problem Details

SAS Note 60323: Java errors due to the Windows 10 Creators Update might occur when you invoke SAS

Invoking SAS® 9.4 M3 or later on a Windows 10 machine might result in Java errors. The problem is caused by the Windows 10 Creator Update and can also affect SAS client applications such as SAS® Enterprise Guide®.  You might see errors such as SAS Enterprise Guide has stopped working.  The issue can be intermittent or consistent.  

Here are the error messages displayed in the SAS log window when SAS is invoked:

ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502.
ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup.

Circumstances under Which the Issue Is Known to Occur

• The Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063) is applied on a Windows 10 machine on which a SAS 9.4 M3 or later installation had been functioning properly
  • SAS 9.4 M3 or later is installed after the Creators Update has been applied to a Windows 10 machine

Hot Fix Details

SAS has issued a hot fix for this problem.  The SAS Note provides details and links to the fix on the "Hot Fix" tab.

Hot fix direct download links - per SAS version:

The SASHFADD tool will also pick these up.

View solution in original post

67 REPLIES 67
Mordicus
Calcite | Level 5

I am also having JAVA problems win 10 x64 SAS 9.4 TS1M3
After using for a while after first install, ODS and Java fail.
When I restart SAS it says:

I once was able to fix it by installing the latest hotfix that includes a java update. But it returned.

I then tried the workaround solution you post here. Copied here:

1. Using Windows Explorer, open the following Windows directory: C:\Program Files\SASHome2\SASVersionedJarRepository\eclipse
  2. In that directory, locate this file: com.sas.app.launcher.cacheFile
  3. Rename the file to com.sas.app.launcher.old.
  4. Restart the SAS application.

This solved the problem for a while and now it is back. I noticed that the file is still renamed to .old and a new file was not created, which is what I was expecting to happen based on similar windows fixes. I tried renaming it to .old2. That did not work. I tried renaming it back to the original name. That did not work. I then renamed it back to .old AND THAT WORKED. FOR NOW? Or perhaps the fact that I am closing and opening SAS between each rename is coincidental and that is what is fixing it. 

We obviously need a hotfix for this issue.

This is very frustrating. 

JWolf
Calcite | Level 5

This is so frustrating, mine was randomly having issues with Java but the problem seemed to get worse and I get the same message.

I tried following all the steps described but nothing seems to work temporary or permanently. I even uninstall everything following the procedure and reinstall but the problem still persists.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JWolf - Are you on SAS 9.4M3 or later and have you applied the hot fix mentioned in this post?

JWolf
Calcite | Level 5

I'm running 9.4M3, I tried to install the hot fix on both machines but it didn't work however, I installed the windows update and everything is working fine again on one of the machines I'm going to try doing the same thing on the other one with the problem and if that doesn't solve the problem I'll post it.

hugorm
Fluorite | Level 6
I didn´t do a thing. With one of the Winsows 10 updates everything is going right. Running 9.4 (TS1M1).
Make SAS Great Again.

hugorm
Fluorite | Level 6
I did not applied the hotfix.
Surface
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for your reply. I tried to do it, but it didn't work.
MicheleJones
Calcite | Level 5

After recieving this error and reading through the threads you just need to add sas.exe as an exception in your windows defender.  Close out of SAS and open it back up again and your error should go away. 

That is what worked for me anyway. 🙂 

dylsmith
Fluorite | Level 6

I encountered this same error code after the most recent Windows update (sigh). I noticed the problem disappeared if I turned off real time protection in Windows Defender, which apparently does not approve of SAS accessing JAVA. So you might try that.

Adding sas.exe to the Windows Defender Antivirus exclusions list appears to have resolved the issue entirely. 

Hope this helps.

shayne
SAS Employee

Hi dylsmith - since adding sas.exe to the Windows Defender exclusions list several days ago, have you seen the issue reoccur? 

Thanks!

dylsmith
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, it did recur-I've been meaning to edit my post. However, it continues to be the case that SAS launches normally with no errors if I turn off Windows Defender prior to launching SAS.
shayne
SAS Employee

Thank you for providing that additional information! If you are willing to work on troubleshooting the issue with SAS Technical Support, please open up a track by sending an email to support@sas.com with a screen shot of the SAS Log showing the error message. 

SAS is continuing to work on identifying the cause of this behavior and a way to consistently/permanently resolve it. I will update this thread once I have more information to share. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats