Help using Base SAS procedures

windows10 about SAS9.4 ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502.

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

windows10 about SAS9.4 ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502.

[ Edited ]

I recently installed SAS 9.4 on windows10 (1703) several machines for my computer. Installation display is successful. The error in the log that I get when I open SAS is ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502. ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup. I have tried to Reinstalling to see if it would repair. also use Java Runtime Environment hotfix . But all were failed. I have no idea. Please help Thank you.

Editor's update: this is a known issue with Windows 10 Creators Update and SAS 9.4m3 and later.  See: SAS Note 60323: Java errors due to the Windows 10 Creators Update might occur when you invoke SAS and the solution in this topic.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-23-2017 09:12 AM
SAS Employee

Re: windows10 about SAS9.4 ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502

This is a known problem that was introduced with the Microsoft Windows 10 "Creators" update.  SAS has issued a fix to solve the issue for SAS 9.4 customers.  Microsoft may also address the problem in a future update.  The SAS hot fix is designed to solve the issue independent of any future Windows fix.

Problem Details

SAS Note 60323: Java errors due to the Windows 10 Creators Update might occur when you invoke SAS

Invoking SAS® 9.4 M3 or later on a Windows 10 machine might result in Java errors. The problem is caused by the Windows 10 Creator Update and can also affect SAS client applications such as SAS® Enterprise Guide®.  You might see errors such as SAS Enterprise Guide has stopped working.  The issue can be intermittent or consistent.  

Here are the error messages displayed in the SAS log window when SAS is invoked:

ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502.
ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup.

Circumstances under Which the Issue Is Known to Occur

• The Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063) is applied on a Windows 10 machine on which a SAS 9.4 M3 or later installation had been functioning properly
  • SAS 9.4 M3 or later is installed after the Creators Update has been applied to a Windows 10 machine

Hot Fix Details

SAS has issued a hot fix for this problem.  The SAS Note provides details and links to the fix on the "Hot Fix" tab.

Hot fix direct download links - per SAS version:

The SASHFADD tool will also pick these up.

View solution in original post

All Replies
PROC Star

Re: windows10 about SAS9.4 ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502

Does the info in the following thread address your problem?: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/ERROR-The-Java-proxy-is-not-responding/td-p/149423

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I tried to do it, but it didn't work.
Occasional Learner

After recieving this error and reading through the threads you just need to add sas.exe as an exception in your windows defender.  Close out of SAS and open it back up again and your error should go away. 

That is what worked for me anyway. Smiley Happy 

Occasional Contributor ccd
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. But that did not work for me.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I encountered this same error code after the most recent Windows update (sigh). I noticed the problem disappeared if I turned off real time protection in Windows Defender, which apparently does not approve of SAS accessing JAVA. So you might try that.

Adding sas.exe to the Windows Defender Antivirus exclusions list appears to have resolved the issue entirely. 

Hope this helps.

SAS Employee

Hi dylsmith - since adding sas.exe to the Windows Defender exclusions list several days ago, have you seen the issue reoccur? 

Thanks!

New Contributor

Yes, it did recur-I've been meaning to edit my post. However, it continues to be the case that SAS launches normally with no errors if I turn off Windows Defender prior to launching SAS.
SAS Employee

Thank you for providing that additional information! If you are willing to work on troubleshooting the issue with SAS Technical Support, please open up a track by sending an email to support@sas.com with a screen shot of the SAS Log showing the error message. 

SAS is continuing to work on identifying the cause of this behavior and a way to consistently/permanently resolve it. I will update this thread once I have more information to share. 

New Contributor

I ran into this problem on June 14 2017, after updating my Windows 10. 

I don't have anything to contribute here. Just want to exert more pressure on SAS team for a solution, since I need this problem solved for my summer class.

New User

I got the same error message, followed by ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup. I emailed SAS support and the following was their reply on April 28, 2017.

Dear Customer,

The error that you are experiencing begins to appear in SAS running on Windows 10 after the installation of recent Microsoft updates.We have tried several things here to circumvent the problem, but so far, nothing we have tried here appears to consistently fix the issue.  We appreciate your patience and cooperation in working to resolve this issue and we apologize for any inconvenience caused by it.

I will tell you  ASAP, if i have good news.

Regards,

SAS Technical Support

Apparently, there is no good news yet as I have not received any updates from them.

PROC Star

I don't know if this is related, but I discovered something by accident (NOT RELATED TO SAS) that seems strange, but worked.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the Microsoft update, but my problem occured right after that update.

Just out of curiosity .. do you happen to be using a wireless mouse or keyboard? If so, and if you happen to have non-wireless varities, temporarily replace all bluetooth devices with their wired counterparts.

My problems went away, I rebooted, reconnected the bluetooth devices, and haven't run into the problems again (although its only been a week now since I did that).

Like I said, I have no reason to think that might be your problem, but worth a try to find out.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. My work is busy these days. In order to use SAS I've reloaded systems and now I'm using Windows 8.1 systems I have a Dell computer. but also have this problem (system also is windows 10__1703update ( ▼-▼ )) I'll try again this weekend. I think it should be a problem with Windows 10__1703update I don't have a Bluetooth devices
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I'm waiting for your good news. I have a Dell computer. but also have this problem (system also is windows 10__1703update ( ▼-▼ ))
Frequent Contributor

I experienced the same problem. We use another anti-virus software at our company and usually deactivate Windows Defender. However the Creators Update reactivated it.

If Windows Defender is deactivated again, SAS starts without the error and Java Procedures like PROC JAVAINFO are working again.

I hope this helps you.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats