BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
littlestone
Fluorite | Level 6

dear all

I apologize for asking a question that is not directly linked to SAS procedure. I am asking this question because many people have asked me if I have any experience with Large Size Data. The largest data I have ever dealt with is about 200MB, and I don't feel much difference.

I realize that nowdays data could be several GB big or even bigger, but I don't understand what a data analyst will do differently with those Large Size Data in comparison with normal size data. Could anyone give me some hint? Or is there any book I can read?

Thank you very much.

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

Definitely NOT my area of expertise but, from the position of one who has managed SAS programmers and statisticians, I can guess why they would be asking.

I think it comes down to what does a candidate know regarding optimizing the analysis of really large amounts of data.  I.e., what are the benefits of such things as teradata and sql passthru, when are such techniques/technologies most useful, and what conditions might make using certain techniques a waste of time?  Similarly, what are the benefits of using indexes and what conditions would make their use beneficial.

As for suggested reading, I'll leave that to those who have actually read the materials.

Art

littlestone
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, Art.

Any other comments? please...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation