BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mamzolo
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all,

I'm currently fitting a mixed effects model in SAS using proc mixed. The only issue I have is that I have a special data set in a sense that the observed data come with a variation measure.

What I want to do, is to incorporate this additional variation in the estimation of the residual variance. Thus, instead of having a residual variance of the form sigma^2*I, I have (sigma^2 + S2)*I where S2 is the variation measure.

Any ideas of how I can account for this structure in SAS?

A sample of the model in SAS is of this form:

proc mixed data=data;

class run;

model y=x;

random intercept/sub=run;

repeated / ;                                              /*I believe the variation S2 should come in here*/

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I think that is a good plan--I assume these are read in and then the HOLD option is used to keep them fixed at the calculated values?

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

This is going to be a lot easier if you have all of the data that generated this additional variation measure.  It would then be a straightforward MIXED analysis, I think.  But I am guessing not...

So, some more detail on how S2 is derived and then on how it is supplied to the dataset are going to be very helpful.  I am hoping that S2 is some sort of variance calculated on a per run basis, and if so, we can address it through the use of a WEIGHT statement.

Steve Denham

mamzolo
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Steve.

Indeed S2 is a variance calculated for each run.

I have just been able to solve this problem (partly) by using the PARMS statement. I had to create a data set with S2 values and use this data in PARMSDATA option.

I haven't checked whether it works but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thembile Mzolo

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I think that is a good plan--I assume these are read in and then the HOLD option is used to keep them fixed at the calculated values?

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation