Help using Base SAS procedures

rand function issue

New Contributor

rand function issue

Hi all,

I am trying to generate a table with 100 observations, one variable. This is a discrete variable with 4 levels so I used this code below and everything is fine.

data BMI (drop = i) ;

array prob [4]    (0.01, 0.1, 0.26, 0.63);

call streaminit(1234);

do i = 1 to 100;

BMI = rand("Table", of prob

• );
  •      output;

end;

run;

quit;

However, what I really want is this to store the proportions (0.01, 0.1, 0.26, 0.63) in a matrix variable z, like this below, and then pass that matrix variable via array, prob

• into the rand function, as shown below.
  • proc iml;

use CHIS.RBMI_Freq;

read all var {PERCENT} into XBMI ;

Z = ((XBMI[1:4,])*.01);

print Z;

run;

data BMI (drop = i) ;

array prob

•    Z ;
  •      call streaminit(1234);

do i = 1 to 100;

BMI = rand("Table", of prob

• );
  •      output;

end;

run;

quit;

When I do this I get an error   Argument 2 to function RAND('Table',.) at line 822 column 15 is invalid.

I need help. Thanks in advance.

Super User

Re: rand function issue

I don't work much with IML but I would think you could do that as a row operation in IML. Data steo is, as error says, not going to accept that syntax the way you want as Z as called will create a single variable Z which is missing.I don't know if you could instead of Print Z create a macro variable in a format that looks like the values in the first example.

BTW if you don't want to keep adding Drop i statements use Do _i_= for your loops. The paired underscores tell SAS to treat as a temporary variable and it is automatically dropped from the output.

Ask a Question
    Discussion stats
    • 1 reply
    • 0 likes
    • 2 in conversation