BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Peggy
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all,

I would like to use some continuous variables to see if I can predict a certain behavior (such as "fallers-people who had a history of falls" versus "non-fallers").

My dependent variable is "Group" (0=non-fallers, 1=fallers).

For the independent variables, I use couple of continuous measures.

Since the absolute values of my independent variables would affect the "unit odds ratio" (although the "range" odds ratio would be the same), how should I choose the "unit" of the independent variables (such as "meters versus centi-meters")?

For example, If I input my data in centi-meters, I would have the unit odds ratio as 0.6. But if I input my data in meters, then I would have the unit odds ratio as 0.002.  

Also, if I would like to compare the unit odds ratio among different independent variables, how should I do to make it fair since their absolute values are very different due to different scales/units?

Moreover, if the distribution of a certain independent variables is not normal, should I transform my data first (such as log transform) before running the logistic regression?

thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
HWSteinberg
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Peggy,

why not standardizing all scales to mean 0, variance 1 or even keeping the mean and shrinking / expanding all to the same variance? Then you should get the same beta for centimeters and meters. And sure, for skewed distributions apply the log transform before.

Hans

Peggy
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much Hans!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation