BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
archnova
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a data set where I have a dependent variable Y , a treatment variable (Trt) and set of random factors z1(10 levels), z2(2 levels) and z3(2 levels) such that z3 is nested in z2 and z2 is nested in z1 I am using proc mixed to analyze this data. Code below :

proc mixed method=REML;

class trt z1 z2 z3;

model y = trt;

random z1 z2(z1) z3(z1 z2);

run;

The problem is the covariance estimate for z2 comes out as zero. I am wondering why I am getting such an estimate. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

PS: I have also tried other methods i.e. MIVQUE0 , type 1 and type 2 and ML

Regards,

Arunava

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

It most likely means that there is insufficient variability remaining after fitting z1 to get a positive estimate with the data you have in hand.  The only real solution is the most expensive one--obtain more data.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation