BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
clcl
Calcite | Level 5

quick question about proc logistic, do i need to define class variables ?? 

i have seen i few examples on the sas online docs some do and some dont .....

and just to make sure if i do define the class variables do i need to add the predicted to it ???  ( i dont think so .. )

Thanks CL  

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You must define any nominal predictor variable (a predictor whose value as no numerical meaning, e.g. SEX, STATE) as a class variable. The dependent variable (predicted) is implicitly defined as class.  - PG

PG
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

To add to PG's comment, if your class variable is numeric and coded 0 and 1 (binary), then you can treat it as a continuous predictor variable (that's what we had to do before the CLASS statement was added to LOGISTIC).  You will get identical p-values to a binary CLASS variable (like SEX), but the coefficients might be reversed depending on the parameterization.

Sometimes ordinal variables are treated as class variables and sometimes not (PROC LOGISTIC does not recognize a specific data type of "ordinal").  If you are willing to consider the ordered values to be equally spaced on the real line, then you could treat it as continuous and (generally) get reasonable answers.  When I am trying to decide which way to go, I'll do a lot of plots ahead to understand the behavior of the ordinal variable relative to the outcome.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation