BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chris2377
Quartz | Level 8

Dear all,

I have a dataset with the following information about a number of loans:
1. they are floating interest rate loans - the interest is defined as 6M LIBOR + fixed margin, e.g. 2 percentage points
2. I know the date when each loan was granted
3.I know the life of the loan
4. I have the value of monthly repayments in 2014 (for each loan I have data refering to one specified month, e.g. for loan A I know the value of monthly repayments in Januray 2014, for loan B - in July 2014 etc.)

Having this information, I want to find an amount of the loan that was granted*. Can I do this with proc loan? Or maybe there is some other way?

* In other words (in italics I marked information specific for each loan that I have in my dataset):

Person A was granted in initial_date a floating interest rate loan for number_of_years. In given_month of 2014 monthly repayments were equal to repayments_value. What was the size of the original loan

Best,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If you know the number of payments to make, interest rate and the payment amount you may get what you need with the MORT function.

This function returns the value of the parameter not supplied. The example below figures the principal when the monthly payment is 1000, interest was 10% annual (the division does the monthly component), for 360 payments.

data _null_;
principal=mort(., 1000 , .10/12,30*12);
put principal;
run;

The values could be variables from a data set.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

If you know the number of payments to make, interest rate and the payment amount you may get what you need with the MORT function.

This function returns the value of the parameter not supplied. The example below figures the principal when the monthly payment is 1000, interest was 10% annual (the division does the monthly component), for 360 payments.

data _null_;
principal=mort(., 1000 , .10/12,30*12);
put principal;
run;

The values could be variables from a data set.

chris2377
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, looks promising. I'll take a look at this function

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation