BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
UlrikkaRae
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to import an Excel file. It's rather large, the file, but I don't think that should have anything to do with my problem. Because of an error in sas 9.4 (or so i'm told) I cannot use the import wizard (under "File"), where the error message says: "Connection failed. See log for details". So instead I'm using PROC IMPORT. But when I do this the Excel file is definitely not read correctly bu sas. When using the proc contents it only shows me gibberish/not what the dataset would look like whatsoever.  Here's my code below. What could I do to make SAS read the Excel file correctly?

proc import dbms=xlsx out=Work

datafile='c:\Emilietilimport2.xlsx';

GETNAMES=YES; 

RUN;

Proc contents data=Work;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Oh, I see. You're having a "bit-ness" problem and you need the right drivers. That's actually more of a Windows/MS Office than a SAS issue. One way around this could be to save your Excel as .csv and then import this csv.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Reeza
Super User

You haven't given us enough information to help. I'd contact Tech Support OR save the excel file as CSV and then import that.

ballardw
Super User

Show the actual results of contents as well. If you tried to post it, it didn't show up.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you can create a sample Excel with the first 10 or so lines of your full data. Then try and import this sample Excel. If this also doesn't work then attach it here in this forum so we can look into it.

Not sure why the import wizard doesn't work for you. Are you using SAS EG or "PC SAS".

UlrikkaRae
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all for your fine and much appreciated replies!

After doing various Things back and forth the PROC IMPORT ultimately worked, but I can't see what I did differently. So I'll still post some images and explanation below of the problems I experienced. SADLY, though, the import wizard still doesn't work which I would much prefer to use over the Proc import. As explained at the end, for Patrick, the problem seems to stem from sas... see link.

@ Reeza: I tried importing the csv file as well, but that didn't work either. Below is an image of the output (@Ballard too). And this output doesn't make sense, for example I have 50 variables, not 3....

sasexample.png

And the print of the imported ´dataset was this:

sasexample2.png

@ Patrick: I tried using only the 10 first rows but I got the same result. About the wizard I'm using PC SAS and  the link here: http://support.sas.com/kb/43/933.html explains the problem that I'm experiencing with the wizard, but the solution the sas-site suggests doesn't work so I'm told to contact sas technical support.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Oh, I see. You're having a "bit-ness" problem and you need the right drivers. That's actually more of a Windows/MS Office than a SAS issue. One way around this could be to save your Excel as .csv and then import this csv.

UlrikkaRae
Calcite | Level 5

This was very helpful too. thank you Patrick, I just hope it reads the variables correctly still when it's a csv file (binomial/character/number...) .

Reeza
Super User

You have more control with a CSV than you would with Excel, but its more manual in turn.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Add the "guessingrows" statement to your Proc Import to ensure that the result is as good as possible. Base SAS(R) 9.3 Procedures Guide, Second Edition

There is a great blog from Chris Hemedinger about all the ways you can write to an Excel. Pretty much the same applies also for reading from Excels: http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/02/11/export-excel-methods/

UlrikkaRae
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Patrick, good idea with the guessing rows. When it's only 8 rows as the default it has been causing me problems indeed. And thanks for the links!

Reeza
Super User

You need to install PC FILES Server.

I'm guessing you have 64 bit SAS talking to 32bit Office?

UlrikkaRae
Calcite | Level 5

I read the same at the page I linked to; that it could be a 32bit to a 64 bit sas problem, and now that I've checked it out it goes to show that this IS the problem - I AM running with a 32bit office package! Darn, I bought the computer with office already installed - why would they put a 32bit office package on a 64bit system!?

Alright I'll try and install the PC files server, you think that would solve the problem so to be able to use the import wizard?

Reeza
Super User

Actually no, mine doesn't at least Smiley Sad

I use libname engine though and that works.

Microsoft recommends 32bit Office at the moment, 64 bit is too buggy.

UlrikkaRae
Calcite | Level 5

Alright, that's good to know about the office 32 vs 64bit, thank you Smiley Happy

ballardw
Super User

And possibly a language issue around unicode or other fonts.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation