BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
merryr
Calcite | Level 5

I found an old thread about proc freq cumulative percent not adding up to exactly 100, but this is a little different.  I am doing a frequency (proc freq noprint with an output data set) where there is only one value of the 'tables' variable in the data so the percent itself (not just the cumulative percent) is 100.  It looks like 100 when we view the output data, and if we print it out with a format, even if the format is for example 32.28, we get 100.0000000000000000000000000000.  However in an 'if' expression it does not compare as being equal to 100 unless we round it.  

Why would that be?  This is only happening in one of three jobs (same code, different input data).  We could add a step to round the value of percent before doing the check for 100, but should that really be necessary?  How can we tell under what circumstances it should be necessary to round a percent value of 100% ?

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Internal representations of decimals. computer precision. Old news. The cumulative is adding many decimal values and there is internal computer storage issues with cumulative error.

Round a value when you need an equal comparison.

If round(x,1) = 100 or similar.

merryr
Calcite | Level 5

Yeah I know that, but was still surprised since this doesn't seem like it needs to be a computation involving decimals.  It's not the Cumulative, it's the Percent, and it's the Percent for a frequencey for which there is only one value, so the Percent is 100.  I guess this kind of makes sense that SAS still computes it, it's just surprising to me that (966979/96679) * 100  (or however they get it to a percent style value) is not equal to 100.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you can reproduce the issue with a small set of values then post the example data.

If you can reproduce but the set of values is large (more than a hundred say) then open a ticket with Tech Support and ask them to explain.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Are you using a WEIGHT variable or a FREQ variable?

Please post the code and sample data.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation