Help using Base SAS procedures

how to regress Y against each X separately

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

how to regress Y against each X separately

Suppose the data structure is as follows. Now I want to regress y in respect to each x separately. I can do it in three steps, but I want to ask whether I could do it in a more easy way, say using a loop or macro? Could anyone provide me some sample code? Thanks a lot.

Y         X1         X2         X3

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-05-2018 09:11 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: how to regress Y against each X separately

Sure. Sample code, example, and step-by-step discussion of this problem are in the article "An easy way to run thousands of regressions in SAS"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User
Super User

What does your regress code look like?  You can do it in macro:

%macro Do_Regress (x_var=);
%mend Do_Regress;

%Do_Regress (x_var=x1);
%Do_Regress (x_var=x2);
%Do_Regress (x_var=x3);

But there may be simpler ways, for instance if you normalise the data, go down rather than across, you can likely do it in one simple step, so a dataset like:

Y       X     RES

5.5    1      1

5.5    2      5

New Contributor

Hi RW9, your method is what I did previously. The problem is that I have to use the maceo for 3 times, which will be tedious if there are many variable. I think Rick provides a better solution. Thank you very much.
Super User

The easiest way is to transform your data into a long format and use PROC REG with a BY statement. You can use PROC TRANSPOSE to flip the data and then a single PROC REG. 

See some more details here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-do-I-write-a-macro-to-run-multiple-regres...

@daviddu wrote:

Suppose the data structure is as follows. Now I want to regress y in respect to each x separately. I can do it in three steps, but I want to ask whether I could do it in a more easy way, say using a loop or macro? Could anyone provide me some sample code? Thanks a lot.

Y          X1          X2          X3
5.5 1 5 3
10.5 2 7 1
5 3 2 6
12 4 6 4
13 5 4 2

New Contributor

Hi Reeza, your suggestion also helps. The proc transpose is new to me. I have to check your idea in more details. Thanks a lot.

Solution
‎06-05-2018 09:11 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Sure. Sample code, example, and step-by-step discussion of this problem are in the article "An easy way to run thousands of regressions in SAS"

Super User

@Rick_SAS I updated my library article to point to yours now since it's more detailed Smiley Happy

SAS Super FREQ

OK, thanks. Small correction: "SAS" didn't publish a blog post, I did. I do not speak for SAS.

New Contributor

Hi Rick, the article helps. Thanks a lot.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation