BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Sorry guys, but I am missing  something here and I want to understand it, look like still you are not happy with the missing values in the result.

1. Your code in sql works....as I am considering that missing points in the result as valid.

but,

you said: " I don't think your code works the way that OP wanted."...please can you explain me what does OP mean?

Then, you write two codes:

2. a)your first code ( not using sql )...works well, obtaining the same result as using sql.

2. b) The (code using Hash)...Thnaks Hai.Kuo,  but I dont control this type of object programming (Is good to know in the future).

What are the next message talking about?

Look like (please, correct me if i am wrong Smiley Happy ) there is a problem with the missing value, that you guys (Hai.kuo, mkeintz, Astounding) want to solved....but I still dont understand.

Btw, the code of mkeintz looks interesting too, but the function coalesce is not recognize in SAS 9.0. Any suggestion?

4. Still dont understand what Astounding want to show  Smiley Happy

I hope someone can explain me why you are not happy with the first code of Hai.Kuo, when I was happy with the result Smiley Happy

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

1, 2a, and 2b ...I am talking about  Hai.Kuo messages Smiley Happy

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Hi michtka,

The message was for Daniel whose code does not provide what you want. The missing values in your raw data will generate some interesting problems if not being addressed specifically. For example, when awake=50, sleep=., how to define the range for this group? is it only 50 or >=50? The same thing will happen when awake is missing.

Regards,

Haikuo

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the answer Hai.Kuo.

Please, I would like you to make the same code but with a light modification.

Test 1 show a ascending sequence in  (awake sleep) variables:

data test1;

input subjid awake sleep group;

datalines;

1 10 20 1

1 30 40 2

1 50  . 5

2 65 70 1

2 75 85 2

2 88 102 3

2 113 120 2

;

run;

data test2;

input subjid activity;

datalines;

1 15

1 25

1 35

1 49

1 58

2 71

2 86

2 90

2 104

2 115

;

run;

I would like to classify the values of activity in the groups given by test1.

But, with the the difference that  the values 49, 58, 71, 86, and 104 rather than missing (first problem) I want to be assigned the group values (2, 5, 1, 2, and 3), because have sense in this

now ascending sequence (awake sleep) in test 1.

i.e  49 has to be in group 2, because it  is between sleep (40) and awake (50), and so on.

Thanks a lot.

V

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Hi,

I don't understand why 58 is in group 5? the meaning of missing sleep needs to be defined. Here is an approach with the exception of 58 being missing:

data test1;
   input subjid awake sleep group;
   datalines;
   1 10 20 1
   1 30 40 2
   1 50  . 5
   2 65 70 1
   2 75 85 2
   2 88 102 3
   2 113 120 2
   ;
   run;

data test2;
   input subjid activity;
   datalines;
   1 15
   1 25
   1 35
   1 49
   1 58
   2 71
   2 86
    2 90
   2 104
   2 115
   ;
   run;

data test_1;

set test1;

by subjid;

set test1(firstobs=2 rename=awake=_awake keep=awake) test1(drop=_all_ obs=1);

_awake=ifn(last.subjid,.,_awake);

run;

proc sql;
  select distinct a.*, group from test2 a
  left join test_1 b
  on ( awake<= activity< coalesce(_awake,sleep)) and a.subjid=b.subjid order by subjid, activity;
  quit;

Haikuo

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Hai.Kuo, the reason why is because the data was not collected.

58 belong to number 5, becasue in this example the number 58 has to drop  between (50 .) and (65,70)  because the ascending sequence (imagine that 50 correspond to visit 3 and 65 correspond to visit 4. 58 has been an activity in a time between visit 3 and visit 4, because visit 4 has not been reached, 58 need to be adressed to visit 3, I means group 5.

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Please Hai.Kuo, could you include the number 58 as group=5 in your code.

I need it to solve my problem.

Thnaks.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15
    proc sql;

left join test_1 b
     on ( awake<= activity<= coalesce(_awake,sleep,activity)) and a.subjid=b.subjid order by subjid, activity;

quit;

Haikuo

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Thnaks Hai.kuo, your code works very well using SAS 9.2

Is possible to subs the coalesce function in your code, for a diffferent strategy?

I tell you it because in SAS 9.0 the function coalesce is not recognize.

Thnaks a lot for your help.

V.

Ksharp
Super User

Or try other functions:

data test_1;

set test1;

by subjid;

set test1(firstobs=2 rename=awake=_awake keep=awake) test1(drop=_all_ obs=1);

_awake=ifn(last.subjid,.,_awake);

run;

options missing=' ';

proc sql;

create table x as

left join test_1 b

on ( awake<= activity<= input(scan(catx(' ',_awake,sleep,activity),1),best8.)   ) and a.subjid=b.subjid order by subjid, activity;

quit;

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation