BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
abcd123
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am trying to import a csv file; first row contains variable names, and there are 10000 or so variables. My code look like following:

filename foo 'C:\Users\Desktop\aaaa_2.txt' lrecl=100000;

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.ABC

DATAFILE= foo

DBMS=TAB REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

DATAROW=2;

RUN;

Although I specified lrecl in the code, the generated variable names are still messed (not showing correct name, but just "VAR3526", "VAR3527" etc) . Here are the log message I got:

EFI will truncate records > 32767; your record length was 100000

Number of names found is less than number of variables found.

It seems SAS still truncates after 32767 characters. Why lrecl not work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Write the code to read it yourself.  If you have no documentation on the variables then read them as character and analyze them in SAS.

data want ;

infile 'C:\Users\Desktop\aaaa_2.txt' dsd lrecl=1000000 truncover firstobs=2;

length var00001-var10000 $20 ;

input var00001-var10000 ;

run;

You can read the names separately ;

data names ;

length varname realname $32 ;

infile 'C:\Users\Desktop\aaaa_2.txt' dsd lrecl=1000000 truncover obs=1;

input realname @@ ;

varname = 'VAR' || put(_n_,Z5.);

run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

There are likely several work arounds for the lrecl issue but PROC IMPORT, which is not a very "bright" program may not recognize all of them.

One:

options LRECL= 100K;

Number of names found is less than number of variables found.

Tells us that some of your columns do not have headings to use as a variable name.

This will cause variables that do not have column headings to get names like VARxxxx where xxxx is the variable column number.

Also if your column headings exceed 32 characters and duplicate each other this may happen.

abcd123
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, I tried to set options LRECL= 100K, however I got following error message: Option value for SAS option LRECL must be between 1 and 32767.

In addition , I checked my variable headings and all variable name length are less than 32. So it seems that  it is the 32767 restriction that cause the problem.

Ksharp
Super User

Can you press F4 to copy these code generated by proc import.

And paste it in a new editor window and change that LRECL=  by hand ?

And from your log. It seems that it is not error about LRECL= , it is about the sas code .

Are you sure you specify the right delimiter ?

Message was edited by: xia keshan

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

10,000 variables, seriously?  I would advise you look at the export process as that is a very high amount, databases wouldn't generally be happy with that amount of variables, nor would any other application.  I would suggest the data be normalised before export, or be split up into manageable chunks, i.e. split out into various datasets with a linked id.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Write the code to read it yourself.  If you have no documentation on the variables then read them as character and analyze them in SAS.

data want ;

infile 'C:\Users\Desktop\aaaa_2.txt' dsd lrecl=1000000 truncover firstobs=2;

length var00001-var10000 $20 ;

input var00001-var10000 ;

run;

You can read the names separately ;

data names ;

length varname realname $32 ;

infile 'C:\Users\Desktop\aaaa_2.txt' dsd lrecl=1000000 truncover obs=1;

input realname @@ ;

varname = 'VAR' || put(_n_,Z5.);

run;

abcd123
Fluorite | Level 6

Wow, this is exactly what I want!!! Thank you so much!!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation