Help using Base SAS procedures

creating new variables in sas

New Contributor

creating new variables in sas

I want to create a new variable which is equal to the column sum of an existing variable monthly_sales.the code i am using is-

data west;
input total;
set yash123;

total=sum monthly_sales;
proc print data=west;
var total;
run;

but it throws an error stating variable total not found.Please help

Frequent Contributor

Re: creating new variables in sas

You shouldn't need an input statement for your total variable you're creating.  You can use a format statement if you wish to define the variable a format ahead of time.  I think your issue is how you're trying to calculate the variable total.  Are you trying to sum all monthly_sales?  You should be getting a syntax error with your "total=sum monthly_sales;" statement.

If you're looking to sum all monthly_sales observations to get a total amount, I would use a proc means statement or a proc sql with a group by statement.  Unless you're trying to cacluate total a different way.

Hope that helps.

New Contributor

hi ,

Thanks for your reply. proc means and proc sql can be used to calculate sum.But then how can we relate that value to the new variable "total"?

Super User

yashchawla wrote:

But then how can we relate that value to the new variable "total"?

What does that mean? A picture is worth a 1000 words, please post input and output data.

Frequent Contributor

If you mean how to create a variable named total that equals the total sum, then try this:

proc means data=yash123 sum nway noprint;

var monthly_sales;

output out=west (drop=_TYPE_ _FREQ_)

sum=Total;

run;

This will give you a data set called west with a variable called Total that is equal to the sum of all monthly_sales.  If you want to see the sum of monthly_sales by Month, like Mark Johnson laid out, add a class statement to the means procedure with Month as your class:

proc means data=yash123 sum nway noprint;

var monthly_sales;

class month;

output out=west (drop=_TYPE_ _FREQ_)

sum=Total;

run;

Hope that helps!

Valued Guide

It would be easier if you gave an example of the data you have and want you want.  Here's a guess at your solution though:

data have;

input month monthly_sales;

cards;

1 100

1 200

2 50

2 100

3 25

3 1

4 0

4 100

5 5000

5 100

6 100

6 1

;

run;

proc sql;

create table want as

select *,sum(monthly_sales) as sum

from have

group by month;

Super User

My $0.02: In my opinion about the only reason to have a column sum (or other summary) is for a report as data like that is very dangerous to have in a data set used for analysis. So use of a reporting procedure and generate the report directly is preferable.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation