Help using Base SAS procedures

best SAS procedure to compare similarity of sample to population

New Contributor

best SAS procedure to compare similarity of sample to population

Is the SAS SurveyMeans procedure the best procedure to use to compare a set of sample data to the population to show whether the sample is a true representation of the population?

Respected Advisor

Re: best SAS procedure to compare similarity of sample to population

It depends... What do you know about your population (e.g. census data) that might be compared to your sample?

PG

PG
New Contributor

Yes. I collected demographic information for my samples that matches demographic categories collected by the U.S. Census Bureau (USCB). I want to know if the people that attended my data collection meetings demographically represent the population of the state. The state demographics are collected by USCB.

Respected Advisor

You could use proc univariate with option LOCATION= to test the mean or median of each continuous variable (age, for example) against the population mean or median. For categorical proportions (sex, for example) you could use proc freq with option TESTP= to compare the proportions in your sample to the population proportions.

hth

PG

PG
New Contributor

thanks. Since all of the data I'm using from USCB is categorical, I'll try using proc freq with option TESTP=

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation