%macro both(ds1,ds2,ds3);
	proc sql;
		create &ds3. as 
			select one.ID, one.Gender, one.ZIP, one.State, one.age 
				from &ds1. as one, &ds2. as two
					where one.ID=two.ID;
%mend;
%put %both(data1,data2,test)

I want to select the observations with same ID from two files, and because I need to do this repeatedly (I have 7 data sets), so I wrote the above macro. Howeverm when I called it using the %put statement, I got an error:

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order (create was underlined to indicate the error position).

Why do I get this error? Can anyone kindly give me some hint if you know about it? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

Almost always, it will be wrong to call a macro inside a %PUT statement.  In this case, it is definitely wrong.  Here is the beginning of your result:

%put proc sql;

create table ds3 as

If  you coded this yourself, you would expect to get an error.  The %PUT statement would write "proc sql" and then SAS would try to execute "create table ds3 as ...".  Since there is no longer a PROC SQL statement as part of the SAS program, "create table ds3 as ..." gives  you the error message.

ballardw
Super User

I would try something like:

%macro both(ds1,ds2,ds3);
	proc sql;
		create &ds3. as 
			select one.ID, one.Gender, one.ZIP, one.State, one.age 
				from &ds1. as one, &ds2. as two
					where one.ID=two.ID;
        quit;
%mend;

%both(data1,data2,test);

If you want to see what the generated code looks like then use

options mprint;

before running the macro.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation