BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there,

I have some SAS datasets for which, I had created the formats and done majority of analyses Windows XP. And now I have a new computer with windows 7 and while running some analyses on this new computer. I keep getting following warning messages in the log windows; however it is still giving me the output.

ERROR: File LIBRARY.FORMATS.CATALOG was created for a different operating system

I am wondering, if this is anything serious and if it is going to affect the results in anyway.

Is switching between 2 operating systems, going to give me any serious trouble ahead with SAS analyseS? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,

Ashwini

4 REPLIES 4
MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

hi ... the problem may be a 32-bit PC running XP versus a 64-bit PC running 7, it's a problem with catalogs (e.g. format catalogs)

one solution (there are most likely others) for formats  is to create CNTLOUT data set on a 32-bit PC and use it as a CNTLIN data set on the 64-bit

* some 32-bit formats;

proc format;

value a 1='1' other='other';

value $a '1'='1'  other='other';

invalue check 1=10 other = _same_;

invalue $check '1'='ten' other = _same_;

run;

* write formats to a data set;

proc format lib=work cntlout=hold;

run;

* go to the 64-bit PC;

libname library 'z:\';

proc format library=library cntlin=hold;

run;

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

hi there, thanks for your response. you are right the problem is about 32 bit vs 64 bit.

I am wondering if i can still trust the analyses result i am getting in the 64 bit PC, shown along with the warning.

Do i have to do something like you have explained above? or for that matter use one of the solutions before I run the analyses in 64 bit PC?

There are too many datasets and each of them is very huge and has too many formats..so i donot really wish to do it all over again.

I just want to know if it will be absolutely fine to use those results even if they are generated with the error messages about formats.

If i could just use the analyses results without having to take care of the solutions to get rid of the warning, that will save me a lot of time.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks

Ashwini

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

hi ... quite sure it is just a format-related issue and has no effect on the use of the data sets

you could always seek a higher authority (http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm)

Ksharp
Super User

Maybe you can consider to use proc cport and proc cimport to  transport these 32-bit sas files into 64-bit sas files.

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation