Help using Base SAS procedures

When date is not a date

Accepted Solution Solved
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

When date is not a date

1. I m pulling data from a SQL server and the date is  coming in formatted date9. ...the issue that I'm having is that i need to bring in whole records I tried filtering for yesterday date but I get error message saying = is different kind of data sets.
  2. when I ping the original table I can filter the same colmn by date.... Thank you for any assistance

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-18-2014 06:34 PM
Super User

Re: When date is not a date

SQL Server usually holds dates as datetimes. If you filter in SQL Server by date it probably knows how to handle this correctly: where date = '2014-01-01'

Filtering in SAS on a table with the same date read from SQL Server would probably require a datetime string: "01jan2014:00:00:00'dt.

Please provide an example of your problem so we can advise further.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

What method are you using to pull the data? Are you licensed for SAS Access to Microsoft SQL Server? Which version of SAS? Can you provide a sample of code?

Note that SAS Access has default behaviour when converting dates/times. Also, there may be options that you can set that will affect how data types are handled by SAS (e.g. SASDATEFMT or DBASTYPE).

Solution
‎06-18-2014 06:34 PM
Super User

SQL Server usually holds dates as datetimes. If you filter in SQL Server by date it probably knows how to handle this correctly: where date = '2014-01-01'

Filtering in SAS on a table with the same date read from SQL Server would probably require a datetime string: "01jan2014:00:00:00'dt.

Please provide an example of your problem so we can advise further.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation