BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CesarOmarHR
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there

I know it's a pretty simple question, but what are the databases capable for import with SAS ACCESS TO OBDC?

I appreciate the help.

César

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Pretty much any database that has an odbc driver. There can be limitations to data types supported.  See on line doc for details.

Data never sleeps
CesarOmarHR
Calcite | Level 5

Do you know the data types that are supported?

i'm thinking MySql, Sql, .dat are there any others?

Reeza
Super User

Isn't .dat a text file, not a data base?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Yep your are right Reeza CesarOmarHR is mixing up a lot. All three are really different:

- The rdbms system like MySql.

- A language you can use to access a rDBMS as SQL

- a text file in some text file (.dat) you can use to configure something like a rDBMS.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I your question is wich RDBMS systems support ODBC. Well ODBC is an open standard they should conform to.

If at the RDBMS software supplier they are claiming to support this than that is no question. The only question is if they are conforming that correctly (no errors).

Be aware of the confusion on dedicated interfaces being supported. They are often indicated as ODBC but are dedicated versions with a lot of additional functionality. Sometimes these are not available on all platforms. For example SQL-server is having dedicated drives at Windows but you are needing to switch to ODBC at Unix.

Datatypes within each RDBMS type is another part of the puzzle. Not all datatypes are equal. The interface is doing the translations. They can be found at:  

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 for Relational Databases: Reference, Fifth Edition

As you can see it are the SAS-formats that are related to the data-type conversions. Numerics in SAS are always floating type. This is not the same within a RDBMS assuming numeric are equal to chars just having a dedicated range more like a constraint.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Reeza
Super User

I think Linus answer is correct, anything with an ODBC Driver.

And SQL isn't one thing, there's T-SQL or MS SQL, Oracle SQL, MySQL, NoSQL, SQLLite and I'm sure there are others.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation