BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am looking to calculate the volume under a 3D
Gaussian distribution curve. I was wondering if anyone had some code that may help me. Thanks
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
mftuchman
Quartz | Level 8
What is meant by the volume under a *curve*?

Are you talking about the volume bounded by the x-y plane and the *surface* z=
deleted_user
Not applicable
My bad.. I should have said "cone". Basically, I am asking if I have a volume of air in space and a gas is normally distributed in that 3 dimensional space ( aka cone shape, x,y and z), How do I calculate its volume using SAS. Does that make sense?
mftuchman
Quartz | Level 8
Although in principle, the volume is infinite since there is always the probability, albeit infinitesimal, that a particle can be arbitrarily as far as desired. It is a gas, after all. I was still thrown by the cone idea.

Are you suggesting that if (X,Y,Z) are the position of a particular gas particle in space, that X,Y,Z are independent identically distributed normal?
deleted_user
Not applicable
For example, in a 2-d curve we are looking for the area under the curve that is associated with say alpha = 0.90. I am loking for the volume of gas under a cone that is in three dimensional space and normally distributed.

So to answer your question... Yes. The position of a particle is independent identically distributed normal. Thus if we had a cloud of the gas particles, they would form a cloud/cone of gas that has the 3-d shape of a normal curve. I want to find the volume of that gas with 90 % confidence.

I hope I am explaining this better...
Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation