BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Deezy
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all,

I would like to know if it is possible to use Proc Migrate to bring in SAS formats made on a 32-bit system into a 64-bit system.

Thank you

PS- The syntax will equally be useful

6 REPLIES 6
Community_Help
SAS Employee

Hi there - thank you for joining the community!

I just moved your question out of the General Community into the Procedures community as I think you'll get more traction for an answer there. Have a great day!

Deezy
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you

ballardw
Super User

I have no idea on whether migrate will work. I would say try it.

If you still have a 32-bit SAS install that can see those libraries I would run proc format on each library with a format catalog and create a Cntlout dataset just in case.

I have all of the code that generates permanent user-defined formats generate cntlout datasets as datasets have the fewest issues with cross-platform conversions and can always rebuild the format catalog from them.

Ksharp
Super User

My reckoning is NO . proc migrate are used to migrate low version sas dataset to the high version under the same platform (i.e. both are 32 or 64 bit ).

Cross platform , you should use proc import + proc cport to transform dataset .

Xia Keshan

maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

PROC MIGRATE does support migrating catalogs across many incompatible environments, with the SLIBREF argument. Check your specifics with Migration: PROC MIGRATE Calculator. If the migration is supported, the calculator points you to some example code in the Base SAS Procedures Guide. If using the SLIBREF argument, you must have access to a SAS/CONNECT or SAS/SHARE server that is running on the same type of operating environment as the source library.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

See the reply of Maggiem   Proc migrate is encapsulating some more basic SAS routines. You are really needing SAS/Connect or SAS/Share as thye are doing the real conversion.
Could you use notepad++ to convert catalogs? Same kind of answer, yes . The real thing:  you can code you SAS-source in notpad++ so SAS/connect SAS/share will do the conversion.
Whatever you do, you must have SAS/Connect or SAS/Share. Having SAS/connect available and you have only some catalog to migrate (upload/download) than it is easy to do that.

The biggest advantage you can have with SAS/connect is you can have both versions alive and supported  as it can also downgrade catalogs 64->32bit.
Proc cport/cimport will not work due tp bitness, that is why Proc migrate is using SAS/share SAS/connect   

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation