BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_new
Calcite | Level 5

Hello-

I am trying to run a frequency and output a dataset with five different variables.  Here is my code:

PROC FREQ DATA=EXP noprint;

TABLES CENSUS*CUMM*PIT*WEEK*DAY/LIST OUT=TEMP1;RUN;   

I am getting this message:  Can anyone help me please?

ERROR: Unable to allocate sufficient memory. At least 1521783K bytes were requested, but only 786430K were available. You must either increase the amount of memory available, or approach the problem differently.

ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory.

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

How many unique values are there in each of your table variables? SAS needs enough memory to track each value in each variable. Try simplifying your TABLE statement by removing one variable at a time until the program runs successfully.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You could also sort the data by the variable with the most levels and change that into a BY variable, that is likely to get your FREQ into the space you have.

damanaulakh88
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Just Use the MEMSIZE option as it specifies the limit on the total amount of memory to be used by SAS.

To determine the optimal setting of MEMSIZE, run the SAS procedure or DATA step with MEMSIZE=0 with the FULLSTIMER option. Note the amount of memory that is used by the process, and then set MEMSIZE to a larger amount.

Setting MEMSIZE to 0 is the same as setting MEMSIZE to MAX.

/Daman

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation