BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hellind
Quartz | Level 8

I am accessing a MS SQL table where the customer name is in THAI Language.

When I download the data to sas dataset the characters are jumbled up.

How to show the Thai Language?

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try setting the LOCALE option in a SAS options statement before reading the MS SQL table:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/nlsref/63072/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0kcqbj7zsjq23n1lfy...

Another thought: Thai fonts may need to be installed for the Thai characters to display correctly, like Angsana New for example.

hellind
Quartz | Level 8

I am using SAS 9.2

I tried the LOCALE SYSTEM OPTION but it did not work.

When you say Thai Fonts needs to be installed, what do you mean? Do I have to install it in windows?

hellind
Quartz | Level 8

It is my first time been asked to work on a database with foreign characters. I will have to read up more on INTERNATIONALIZATION, if this is the term.

I also noticed when I export from database to txt file it is garbled but when I export to XLS it is okay.

ballardw
Super User

SAS uses NLS, National Language Support, to describe most of the issues around languages.

The text file viewer/editor likely uses a default font, for example mine is Courier, that interprets a unicode or double byte set incorrectly. XLS does allow additional font information.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Thai fonts need to be installed on the computer where Thai characters are to be displayed. The fact that it displays OK in Excel suggests that you do have Thai fonts installed. In the Excel spreadsheet where Thai characters are displaying correctly select a cell with correct Thai characters then check the font Excel is using in the task ribbon. What is the name of the font?

Also how are you viewing the SAS dataset with Thai customer names? Are you using Base SAS or EG as your SAS interface and what version are you using? 

hellind
Quartz | Level 8

In excel the point is ARIAL.

I am using BASE SAS 9.2

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation