Help using Base SAS procedures

Surveyreg, clustered observations, and SEs for the cluster variable in the model

New Contributor

Surveyreg, clustered observations, and SEs for the cluster variable in the model

Suppose I have data on mean salary (S) within departments (D) within companies (C). I have one observation per D per C. For each C, I also have data on the percentage of employees that are unionized (U). What I'm really interested in is the effect of U on S. However, I do want to control for the effect of unmeasured characteristics in C and D. Since observations are clustered within C, I decide to use SURVEYREG to adjust for clustering. (Note: I know the employee count for each D, so I want to include that in the model as a weight (E).) As a preliminary, I fit this model:

proc surveyreg data = cds;

weight E;

cluster C;

class C;

model S = C / solution deff;

run;

What I find is that the standard errors are effectively 0 (5.51E-14) and the design effect = 0. When I run the full model, the SEs and DEFF for C go up, but remain very small. (SEs and DEFF for the other variables look fine.)

Is this correct? DEFF = 0 for C because we calculate the clustered SE for C based on between-cluster variation only, setting intra-cluster correlation to 0?

Thanks.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation