Help using Base SAS procedures

StatTransfer SAS to .dbf

Occasional Contributor

StatTransfer SAS to .dbf

I'm trying to convert a SAS dataset (9.4) to a .dbf file.  I want to keep the lengths I specified in SAS.  I can do this using the StatTransfer product, thru the interface.  HOWEVER, we would like to directly call StatTransfer from SAS and run it there.  I have managed to do this with the following call in SAS:

%SYSEXEC("C:\Program Files\StatTransfer12-64\st.exe" "U:\Jackie\sasdata\s001_combine001.sas7bdat" "U:\Jackie\sasdata\testdata.dbf" /Y );

This does NOT keep my lengths.  I tried contacting StatTransfer and after much arguing and explaining they told me to try using a SET command and copy.  I tried the following from a DOS prompt after executing the st.exe command:

SET read-sas-fmts y

COPY "U:\Jackie\sasdata\s001_combine001.sas7bdat" "U:\Jackie\sasdata\testdata.dbf"

Still no luck keeping the formats.  I thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Super User

Re: StatTransfer SAS to .dbf

I don't think that you from the SAS point of view can affect the outcome from a 3rd party product like this.

You are probably best off contacting support/forums for StatTransfer instead.

Data never sleeps
Super User

You say in the start of your question " I want to keep the lengths I specified in SAS" but later say "Still no luck keeping the formats".

Formats are not lengths nor vice versa. Which did you as the tech support length or formatted value?

A possible work-around would be to create the text versions of the variables using

TextVarX = Put(VarX, format_for_varX.);

statements and exporting that data set.

Occasional Contributor

Sorry, you are correct.  Most important is that I keep the length of the fields.  So, if the field length is set to 50, but the longest value within it is 32, I still need the field to be set up as a length of 50.

Super User
Super User

Why are you converting to a file format that was abandoned over 20 years ago?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation