BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FrankReynolds
Calcite | Level 5

Hi guys I'll try to articulate this the best I can. I have two data sets - the original the modified (Cut from the original). One of the variables is a unique patient identifier that can occur for multiple observation lines (these observations are doctor visits, so a patient identifier that occurs on two separate observation lines indicates this patient visited two times).

The modified is concerned with visits after 5:30 pm, so all observations with visits before 5:30 pm were cut from the original to create the modified set. However, I am interested in seeing if those patient IDs in those observations occur in the original data set as well. I would like to combine these two datasets to create a dataset that has every instance of a patient ID that occurs in the modified dataset and the modified dataset only. Let me write it out:

Original     Modified    New

A               A               A

B               B               B

C               E               E

D               G               G

D               H                H

E               I                  H

F                                   H

F                                   I

G                                   I

H

H

H

I
I

So the original contains every visit.

The modified contains every visit after 5

The new contains every visit after 5 and any other visits the after 5 patients may have had (regardless of their time).

So my question would be, how would I get the "New" dataset described above?

I tried something like:

data new;

set original (in=a) modified (in=b);

by patient_id;

if a and b;

run;

Thanks

-you ever see a frog boy?

frank reynolds

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

If the two sets are sorted by the Id variable

data want;

merge modified original;

by idvariable;

run;

If not sorted then sort them first.

Note: there are a variety of things that happen with other variables depending on the order the data sets appear on the merge statement. If you want both values for other variables then one version needs to be renamed (dataset option useful to know).

FrankReynolds
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! I will try tomorrow back in the lab.

-and then I come out and start eating garbage

Frank Reyonlds

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation