Help using Base SAS procedures

Seeing if a Text value exists across a number of variables

Occasional Contributor

Seeing if a Text value exists across a number of variables

I have distributors that feature a number of products.   Some only 1, but others up to 25.    I'd like to scan all 25 columns and return if a distributor features that product

The data is aligned as follows:

Distributor_ID     First_Product  Second_Product......................................25_Product

1                              Apples        Bananas

2                              Grapes     

3                              Bananas     Grapes                                                     Kiwis

etc

etc

In EXCEL it's dead easy using COUNTIF(array,value).    So, I can create a new column in Excel for each Product.   Since Distributor #1 sells Apples, a variable APPLES would have a value of 1 (vs 0)

1)  What's the best way to handle this in SAS? 

2)  If the products were concatenated into a single variable, best way in that case?          EX   (Apples|Bananas) for Distributor_ID=1

Super User

Re: Seeing if a Text value exists across a number of variables

Not sure what you want your output to look like.

There's the whichC function which checks if a value is in a list of other variables, that returns the index of where apples occurred.

x=whichc('APPLES', of product1-product25);

If you need to know how many times APPLES was in the list I'd concatenate them and then use countW

Untested:

want=countw('APPLES', catx(",", of product1-product25, 'i');

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Reeza

Apples will only happen once - same for all the fruits.    I'm leaning toward your "concatenated" answer.   I'm waiting to get SAS installed but know this challenge is part of a project I'm working on.

Super User

A better alternative is to flip your data and run proc freq and easier to query when in long format.

data long;

set have;

array fruits(25) fruit1-fruit25;

do i=1 to 25;

if fruits(i) ne . then fruit=fruit(i);

output;

end;

keep id i fruit;

run;

proc freq data=long;

table id*fruit;

run;