BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FlippantDonkey
Calcite | Level 5

I've had a quick search for any previous questions along these lines, but couldn't find any. Apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm currently trying to search data for occurances of free text which includes the asterisk (*) symbol. I need to extract records where the asterisk is included, however I am concerned that in searching for something like "A*,X,Y,Z"...

e.g.

index ([column label], ".A*,X,Y,Z")

...the asterisk symbol is being considered as a wildcard, so this search would pick-up on entries like: "Az,X,Y,Z" and "A5,X,Y,Z", etc...

1. Are my concerns valid?

2. Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DF
Fluorite | Level 6 DF
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't think this is a concern.  For example, the below outputs as I would expect:

data dsn;

format str $50.;

infile datalines dsd;

input str $;

i = index (str, ".A*,X,Y,Z");

datalines;

"zzz.A*,X,Y,Zzzz"

"zzz.Azzzzzzzzz,X,Y,Zzzz"

;

run;

Only the first entry is picked up by Index.  If the asterisk (or a percentage sign, etc.) were treated as a wildcard, then it would pick up both rows.

If you wanted to include wildcards you might consider using the REGEX functions like PRXMATCH() etc..

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DF
Fluorite | Level 6 DF
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't think this is a concern.  For example, the below outputs as I would expect:

data dsn;

format str $50.;

infile datalines dsd;

input str $;

i = index (str, ".A*,X,Y,Z");

datalines;

"zzz.A*,X,Y,Zzzz"

"zzz.Azzzzzzzzz,X,Y,Zzzz"

;

run;

Only the first entry is picked up by Index.  If the asterisk (or a percentage sign, etc.) were treated as a wildcard, then it would pick up both rows.

If you wanted to include wildcards you might consider using the REGEX functions like PRXMATCH() etc..

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation