BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Paul_NYS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

I am using Proc Sort to sort a data set with a specific variable which is a alpha variable. I know the two standard sort options are ascending and descending (and don't see any others), but is there another option for custom sorting by the values in a variable/column?

The values I am trying to sort are (ascend/desc do not order correctly):

1 to 5

6 - 12

13 to 17

18 +

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Paul, I think you are looking for:

data have;

input column1 $ &;

cards;

1 to 5

6 - 12

13 to 17

18 +

;

proc sort data=have SORTSEQ=LINGUISTIC(NUMERIC_COLLATION=ON);

by Column1;

run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

Paul, I think you are looking for:

data have;

input column1 $ &;

cards;

1 to 5

6 - 12

13 to 17

18 +

;

proc sort data=have SORTSEQ=LINGUISTIC(NUMERIC_COLLATION=ON);

by Column1;

run;

Paul_NYS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot again Art. That works fine.

Paul

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you always want to sort this column according to numeric value, I think it would be wise to concert the column to numeric.

Data never sleeps
Keith
Obsidian | Level 7

makes a good point.  If you just store the raw numeric data, you can create and apply a format with the values in your post.  If you are summarising the data using any of the usual SAS procs, they will automatically group by the formatted values.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation