BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wcpatton
Calcite | Level 5

Program's running, I decide I want to cancel it so I ctrl-break and cancel submitted statements.  After doing that a few times (twice or so), I no longer get updates in my SAS log.  Any way to prevent that from happening or to reenable the log?

Base SAS 9.2

Thanks.

28 REPLIES 28
Ksharp
Super User

Did your code contain some statements such as ' ods listing close; ' ?

If it were true. Use ' ods listing; ' to open listing destination again.

Ksharp

wcpatton
Calcite | Level 5

Sometimes, but this one does not.  I'll try that next time this happens and see if it works.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

You should try using the "!" icon to stop a running program:

SAS_icon.png

(Second from the right). 

Sometimes it takes a bit to recognize you pressed if the program is really busy at the time.

It seems to stop a running program al litle more cleanly. 

wcpatton
Calcite | Level 5

Is the ! really different than ctrl-break?  I always thought they were the same.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

I really don't know if it is different, but I use the "!" and I don't seem to have any problems with my log.

The only time my log is an issue is when there are upwards of 1 million lines in it.  I tend not to close

my SAS session and sometimes I forget to clear the log between programs.

wcpatton
Calcite | Level 5

ods listing; did not work to resolve this.

wcpatton
Calcite | Level 5

This is still not answered and still happens too often.    

ballardw
Super User

One would suggest that if you are using ctrl-break a lot, that determining why that is needed so frequently might be the issue. If it is accidentally (re)running code that you don't want, then highlight only the code wanted and run that. If the program is believed to be running incorrectly or taking "too long" is cause for the interruption then perhaps testing the code using options to limit the number of observations would help on testing.

P
Calcite | Level 5 P
Calcite | Level 5

I'm quite interested in seeing this solved too! Unfortunately, I end up needing to interrupt code a lot, even though I agree that it's not the best way to structure one's workflow.

Just for reference, I'm using Base SAS 9.2 on Windows Server 2008, and the submitted statements that I am cancelling are (most often) CREATE TABLE  statements in PROC SQL.

ballardw
Super User

Examples of the code generating the problem might allow some additional hints for fixes.

zak6482
Calcite | Level 5

I found this discussion because I recently started having the same problem and have not been able to resolve it. I often work with large files and frequently stop execution but I have always used the ! button. It has happened with a variety of coding so I can't pinpoint any particular pattern. I have used SAS for a number of years and only recently experienced this problem so I don't think it's inherent to SAS. The only change recently has been our conversion to Windows 7. I am running SAS 9.2 on a Win7 32-bit laptop. The recent code I ran that appears to have created a problem was a very basic SQL query on one table. I plan to email the SAS tech folks since I've had some good success with them in the past but any ideas would be helpful.

devnand
Obsidian | Level 7

Can some one post the log file after the process of ctrl-break? I would appreciate.

JJ1
Calcite | Level 5 JJ1
Calcite | Level 5

hello

i found these steps

1) Realise the Log has died on your week old session forcing you to migrate the session or pull out all your hair in frustration

2) Proc export to xls a random dataset

3) Interupt execution before complete

4) Presto, Log is back to normal on the next step

here http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1201d&L=sas-l&m=5339&P=3657

As far as I am concerned I have launch any code and stop it before the end and i got back the log.

It seems that the problem arise when proc sql is stopped. So may be another procedure should be launched to get back the code.

I had a hard time with this problem. Hope it works for you.

Good luck

bpowell555
Calcite | Level 5

I just used the method suggested by me on the listserv link above and it worked. It remains the only solution to this bug. I hope its fixed in 9.3!

Regards

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats